Holland House, 42 Newington Green. Demolished in 1961. At one time it had become the OXO factory. The original iron gateway still stands.
Victorian Road looking west towards Nevill Road before Yorkshire South Estate was built on the site. The Prince Albert pub on the right.
The Clissold Park Bowling Green
The Clissold Park bandstand. The ‘rustic’ bandstand was erected in 1893 next to Clissold House, four years after the park opened. It was altered in 1912. It burnt down in 1965 and subsequently removed.
Children in the park
Kennaway Hall (formerly The Willows), Paradise Row, Church Street. Built for George William Alexander; A Quaker and founding treasurer of the British and Foreign Anti-Slavery Society in 1839. It was demolished in 1953.
A view of Kennaway Hall mansion (formerly The Willows) and Warwick House (left) from Clissold Park across the New River. They formed part of Paradise Row, which was home to some of Stoke Newington’s wealthiest residents.
The grand houses of Paradise Row in Church Street overlooking the New River and Clissold Park. This once affluent part of SN changed drastically by the 1950s. This section of the New River was filled in in 1958. It now end in the East Reservoir.
The New River in Clissold Park running along Church Street towards Islington all the way from Hertfordshire. This section was filled in in 1958. It now ends in the East Reservoir. The section in the park is now an ornamental lake effectively.
Paradise Bridge in Stoke Newington Church St in 1948 just before it was demolished. This is where the New River exited Clissold Park towards Aden Terrace, Petherton Rd towards Islington. It now ends in the East Reservoir.
Stoke Newington’s Victorian Police Station (built 1868) next to the Victoria pub (1866-1996). The Police Station was rebuilt and enlarged in 1990.
Denman House was built in 1937 on the site of small houses in Barn Street, Lordship Terrace and Lordship Road that were declared a ‘Slum Clearance Area’. There were 7 such slum clearance areas in Stoke Newington.
5 Allen Road in 1972 when it was E. Yaman, Gents Tailor. In its heyday, Allen Road boasted 50 shops and 3 pubs. Almost all of them were converted to flats.
23 Allen Road in 1972 when it was Milton Radio. In its heyday, Allen Road boasted 50 shops and 3 pubs. Almost all of them were converted to flats.
33 Allen Road in 1986 when it was Milton Radio. In its heyday, Allen Road boasted 50 shops and 3 pubs. Almost all of them were converted to flats.
1929 – John Wesley Lotts bakery, 33 Nevill Road
A. Pagliaro 11 Nevill Road, Stoke Newington. One of 20 shops along the street that were converted to flats over the years.
Clissold Crescent (formerly Park Lane) in 1908. Burma Court Estate on the left was built in 1957. The street’s crescent shape was due to the fact it was built along the crescent shaped western boundary of The Willows estate.
Early Victorian houses in Yoakley Rd (formerly Park St) in 1968 built c. 1845 where the Levy Memorial Garden is now near Church Street. Later renamed after Michael Yoakley. 10 houses built on the road in the early 19th century were financed by Michael Yoakley charity.
The Public Swimming Bath in Clissold Road. Designed by Hobden and Porri who also designed the Simpsons factory in Stoke Newington Road (now Beyond Retro) and the Church St WW1 Memorial Hall. Opened in 1930. Demolished in 1997.
Clissold Road. Built in the 1850s. The houses on the left were demolished in the late 1960’s to make way for Clissold Park School which is now known as Stoke Newington School & Sixth Form
The Stoke Newington end of Newington Green. The Georgian houses on the left were pulled down when Albion Road was widened and a bank was built on the site. The former Barclays Bank building is now flats.
105-113 Stoke Newington Church St c.1920. William Ernest Farrance took over the beer shop at no. 105, which by the mid-1950s became a pub called The Horse and Groom. That was the name of the beer shop in the 1870s. Auld Shillelagh since 1991.
Church Street c. 1870 before terraced houses replaced mansions. Fleetwood House, a 60-room mansion built in 1635 is picking beyond the trees in the distance. The entrance to a detached house called ‘The Manor House’ on the left.
Cows and sheep in Stoke Newington Church Street in 1922
Thomas C. Spivery ‘The Highest Class Bootmaker in the Neighbourhood’, 1 Clarence Terrace, Church Street. ‘Our repairs output average over 200 pairs per week’. Telephone: DALSTON 339.
109 Stoke Newington Church Street in 1844 and today
106 Church St (old numbering). Built c.1755 and demolished in 1931. Home of John Aikin, doctor and writer. It was St Mary’s day nursery 1906-18.
158-64 Stoke Newington Church St in 1973
Stoke Newington Church St corner of Yoakley Road (formerly Park Street).
An iron gateway is all that remains of Abney House (1700-1843). Once the grand manorial estate and home of Sir Thomas and Mary Lady Abney. It’s now the Church St entrance to Abney Park Cemetery.
180 Stoke Newington High Street
187 Stoke Newington High Street, built in 1714, was rebuilt in 1983 with only the original facade surviving, after years of standing derelict. Now YumYum restaurant.
A view of Aden Terrace and the New River from Park Lane Bridge in Park Lane (later renamed Clissold Crescent). This section of the New River was filled in in 1947. The allotments were created that same year.
The Alexandra Theatre, 65-7 Stoke Newington Rd. Designed by Frank Matcham (1854-1920). Built in 1897, closed in 1950, derelict till the early 1960s when it was pulled down and Alexandra Court housing block was built on the site.
The Coliseum Cinema, 31 Stoke Newington Road. Opened 1913, closed 1972. Damaged by fire in 1992. Pulled down in 2001.
The former Astra Cinema (formerly Apollo Picture House, The Ambassador), 117 Stoke Newington Road. Opened 1913 closed 1983. Now Aziziye Mosque and Community Centre.
Barton House 233-237 Albion Rd. Home of Joseph Beck who led the campaign to save Clissold Park from development in the 1880s. Beck named the hosue after his grandfather Richard Barton Beck.
Albion Parade. The houses on the right were built first and originally had front gardens. Ground floors converted to shops later. On the left is the semi-rural and vast grounds of the Willows; a grand Church St mansion near Clissold Crescent.
The Black Bull pub, 192 Stoke Newington High Street
The Neville Arms, 31 Nevill Road. Now residential property. One of 20 pubs within the boundaries of the former Metropolitan Borough of Stoke Newington which closed down over the decades. The are 17 pubs active today.
The White Hart pub, 69 Stoke Newington High Street. Note the Saloon Bar entrance on the left and Private Bar entrance on the right.
The Red Lion in 1890. Originally two separate houses, the pub was first recorded in 1697. It was pulled down in 1924 and rebuilt when Lordship Road was widened.
The Red Lion in 1910. Originally two separate houses, the pub was first recorded in 1697. It was pulled down in 1924 and rebuilt when Lordship Road was widened.
The Albion Hotel, 2 Clissold Road. It was later a pub. Now flats.
Church Row (1695-1935), Stoke Newington Church Street. Built on the site of the Tudor Manor House, this row of 8 (originally 9) grand houses was pulled down in 1935 to make way for a new Town Hall and Reference Library. SN’s 1st Town Hall was in Milton Grove.
Fleetwood House (1635-1872); a 60-room mansion in Church Street. Home of Charles Fleetwood (1618-92); Parliamentarian soldier, Lord Deputy of Ireland and Oliver Cromwell’s son-in-law. Its grounds along with the adjacent Abney Park became the cemetery in 1840.
Henry Dunkley, Cemetery Stone & Marble Works, 217 Stoke Newington High Street
Newington Hall (1821-1875). Aden Terrace and the New River can be seen in the background. Statham Grove was built on the site as well as two terraces on Church Street and Green Lanes, originally called Clissold Park Villas and Newington Hall Villas.
St Mary’s Rectory House opposite the old church was pulled down in 1855 to make way for a new church.
St Faith’s Church on the corner of Londesborough Rd and Knebworth Rd. It was severely damaged in WW2 and never rebuilt. St Faith Parish was merged with St Matthias in the 1950s along with All Saints Parish.
Devonshire Square Baptist Church, Stoke Newington Rd/Walford Rd. Damaged during WW2. The building was restored, though without the spire. New church was built and later demolished. Only the small section on the left remains today. Devonshire House was built on the main site.
West Hackney Church, Stoke Newington Road/Amhurst Road. Built in 1824, this grand church was hit with high explosive bombs on 18/19th Sep 1940. A new church was built on the site c.1960.
Abney Church (originally Abney Independent/Congregational Chapel) was severely damaged in WW2. A new church building was built and in 2000 flats were built on the site.
Stoke Newington Road looking north. The Hare & Hounds pub (now Loading) on the left. The long-gone Wellington Road on the right.
Whincop Builders Merchants was a feature of Church Street’s commercial landscape for 130 years till the late 1990s.